news, events, and awards
- October 15: Under the Broken Sky published!
- September: Invited speaker. Naropa University. Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- October 1: Paperback version of Dust of Eden will be published!
- August 7: invited speaker at the Hiroshima & Peace Workshop, Hiroshima City University
- February 22- 30: invited speaker. Japan Now 2018. the British Museum in London, University of Manchester, and University of Sheffield. London, Manchester, and Sheffield, U.K.
- January 19: reading with Collier Nogues. Cha: A Journal of Asia. Hong Kong.
- January 11-14: invited panelist. Cultures of Occupation: Establishing A Transnational Dialogue 2018. University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- December 7-9: panelist. Historical Dialogues, Justice, and Memory Network. Columbia University, New York, New York.
- October 15: panelist. Temple University Global Conference 2017. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- August 7: invited speaker. Hiroshima City University.
- June: invited commentator. Nan Elizabeth Woodruff Lecture. 人文研特別セミナ. Kyoto University
- March: invited speaker. Nicholas Wong's class. Hong Kong Educational University.
- July: UNESCO City of Literature Writer-in-Residency. Writers Center of Norwich/Nippon Foundation. Norwich, UK.
- May: Japan Delegate. Asian Festival for Children's Literature. Singapore.
- Apirl: Winner of the Inaugural Arnold Adoff Emerging Voice Award Honorable Mention.
- March: Panelist, "Concentration Camps, USA: A Critical and Artistic Retrospective of Literatures of World War II Internment and Detention". Annual Association of Writing Programs Conference. Los Angeles, California, USA
- March: invited speaker. Bookworm Literary Festival. Beijing, China.
- January: winner of 2015 NOS Award from Les Figues Press for Irradiated Cities.
- October -November: Writer-in-Residence, International Writers' Workshop, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
- August: A residency fellowship from Women's International Study Center, Santa Fe, NM, USA
- July 21: Keynote Speaker, Children's Book Summit, National Book Development Board (the Philippines) and PBBY. Quezon City, the Philippines.
- April 12: Reading, "Perspectives on Camp", San Jose Japanese American Museum, San Jose, California, USA
- April 8-11: Panelist, "Novels in Verse", AWP, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- March 1- 7: Invited presenter, the Second Asia-Pacific Poetry Festival, Hanoi, Vietnam
- December 6 & 7: Reading, Poetry and Dream, HOWL Ensemble, NYC and New Haven, CT, USA
- November 13-16: Panelist, "Bodies of Empires", National Women's Studies Conference 2014, Puerto Rico
- October 22: Launching of Short Fiction 8, Plymouth International Book Festival/Japan400, University of Plymouth, UK
- October 21: "Translating Cultures", Plymouth International Book Festival/Japan400, University of Plymouth, UK
- August 1 - August 28: A Residency fellowship from AIR-Willapa Bay, Oystervill, OR (USA)
- "Poems of Shizuko Suzuki" (translation) published in Asymptote
- April 26 - May 8: A residency fellowship from Mesa Refuge, Point Reyes, CA (USA)
- "Woman's Work - America" published in the Carolina Quarterly
- "10 Birthing Poems by Yosano Akiko" published in Asymptote
- an author's feature in the Japan Times (March 23, 2014)
- February 27 - March 1, 2014: Panelist, "Home and Not Home: Poetries of/in a Changing Japan" moderated by Gregory Dunne. Annual AWP Conference, Seattle, WA (USA)
- Dust of Eden: A Novel published by Albert Whitman & Co in March 2014
- December 21, 2014: Workshop. "Writing Poetry: Teaching and Practice" University of Social Sciences and Humanities. Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
- December 20, 2014: Presentation. "A THIRD PERSPECTIVE FROM A VOYEUR OF THE VIETNAM WAR: TAKESHI KAIKO’S KAGAYAKERU YAMI (INTO A BLACK SUN)". Studies on Vietnamese and Japanese Literature in The Globalization Context of the 21st Century. University of Social Sciences and Humanites. Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
- November 30, 2014: Workshop leader. "Writing Poetry for Children and Teens: A Workshop". SCBWI Japan. Tokyo (Japan)
- October 31-November 2, 2013: Reading, 2013 John R. Milton Writers Conference. The University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota. USA
- 3-6 October, 2013: Panelist, Reaching the World 2013. Sponsored by Asia Pacific Writers & Translators (AP Writers), The Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University, and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), in conjunction with UNESCO’s Bangkok ’World Book Capital City 2013′. Bangkok, Thailand
- September 27, 2013: SCBWI Japan Showcase 2013. Tokyo Woman's Plaza, Aoyama, Tokyo, Japan
- August 10, 2013: “St. Bogdag på Hald” (The Great Book Day at Hald), The Danish Centre for Writers and Translators, Hald Hovedgaard, Denmark, 2013
- DUST OF EDEN, a YA verse novel, forthcoming from Albert Whitman & Co in 2014
- July-August 2013: HALD 2013 International Fellowship, The Danish Centre for Writers and Translators, Hald Hovedgaard, Denmark, 2013
- April 3, 2013: Reading. University of California Santa Barbara. USA
- April 2, 2013: Reading with Richard Tillinghast. University Press Bookstore. Starting at 6:30. Berkeley, California, USA.
- March 9. 2013: panelist "Poetry Serving Story Serving Teens: Verse Novels for Young Adults." Moderated by Holly Thompson. AWP Annual Conference 2013. Boston, USA.
- "Excerpt from Imaginary Death" published in Southern Humanities Review
- "Instructions for the Living" nominated for the Pushcart Prize by Word Palace Press
- "Excerpt from Imaginary Death 6" published in New Letters Winter 2012 Issue
- December 2012: A residency fellowship from Ventspils House (Latvia)
- November 4 - 25, 2012: A residency fellowship from Sangam House (India)
- Sept 25 - October 25: Residency at the Akademie Schloss Solitude (Germany)
- July 30 - August 26, 2012: A residency fellowship from Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts (Nebraska City, Nebraska)
- June 22, 2012: Keynote Speach at the New Letters Writers Conference (Kansas City, Missouri)
- June 22, 2012: Craft Lecture at the Mark Twain Writers Conference (Kansas City, Missouri)
- February 1 - 7, 2012: invitation to participate in the International Festival of First Asia Pacific Poetry (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- "Excerpt from Imaginary Death" forthcoming from Memoire(and) wins 2nd Place for works published in that issue
- "Excerpt from Imaginary Death" published in Third Coast nominated for a Pushcart Prize
- November 20: A Writing Workshop at the Munich Readery (Munich, Germany)
- September 2011 - November 2011: A fellowship at the Akademie Schloss Solitude (Stuttgart, Germany)
- October 5-9, 2011: Invitation to participate in panel discussions and a reading at the Ubud Writers Festival (Ubud, Indonesia)
- August 18: a panelist - 2011 Tokyo Book Art Week (Tokyo, Japan)
- Georgic: Stories wins Silver Medal for 2011 Independent Publisher Book Award Short Fiction category
- May 16, 2011: Radio Interview on Central Standard, KCUR 89.3fm at 10am
- May 17, 2011: Reading - the Raven Book Shop Lawrence, Kansas (sponsored by the University of Kansas Center for East Asian Studies)
- May 16, 2011: Reading - Kansas City Public Library (sponsored by University of Missouri Kansas City) (Kansas City, Missouri)
- May 13, 2011: Reading - New York University Creative Writing Program Alumni Reading (NY, NY)
- Georgic is ForeWord Book Of The Year Award 2010 Finalists in Fiction in Short Stories Category
- Georgic wins USA Book News' Best Books Award for Short Stories
- April 16, 2011: Reading - The Munich Readerly (Munich, Germany)
- March 15, 2011: Reading -Welttag der Poesie 2011 (Berlin, Germany)
- February 2011: AWP Annual Conference, Panelist and a Reader (Washington DC)
- "Confession" (short story) nominated to the Pushcart Prize
- Georgic published by BkMk Press (University of Missouri Kansas City)
- October 2010 - April 2011: a 7-month fellowship at the Akademie Schloss Solitude (Stuttgart, Germany)
- April - May 2010: a month long fellowship at Djerassi Resident Artists Program (Woodside, CA, USA)
- December 2009: a two-week artist-in-residency at PEN-Flanders flat (Antwerp, Belgium)
- August 2009: a month long fellowship at the Yaddo (Saratoga Springs, NY)
-April - May 2009: a month-long fellowship at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center (Lake Como, Italy)
- November 2008: a month-long fellowship at the Hawthornden International Writers Retreat (Edinburgh, UK)
- October 2008: a month-long fellowship at Fundacion Valparaiso (Spain)
- August 2008: a month-long fellowship at Chateau de Lavigny (Lausanne, Switzerland)
- May 2008: a fellowship from Elizabeth Kostova Foundation (Sozopol, Bulgaria)
- October/November 2007: a six-week fellowship from Headlands Center for the Arts (Sausalito, CA)
- August/September 2007: a six-week fellowship from the Civitella Ranieri Foundation (Italy)
- UNESCO-Aschberg Bursaries for the Arts Laureatship (2007)
Hedgebrook Foundation; Chateau la Napoule; Ledig House/Art Omi; the Remarkque Fellowship; Tasmanian International Writers Retreat; The Pushcart Prizes - both Poetry and Fiction